1. В каждой колонке подчеркните слова, в которых гласная буква произносится так же, как и выделенная гласная в первом слове:
2. Образуйте множественное число существительных с помощью суффикса -s (-es):
atoms, sets, groups, works, climates, trades, names, arts, plays, stars, years, ideas, sorrows, rays, cultures, natures, doctors, sculptures, teachers, counters, conductors, leaves, lives, shelves, knives, wives.
3. Напишите следующие существительные во множественном числе. Укажите, в каких случаях суффикс множественного числа произносится как [s], [z], [ız]:
student – students [s], party – parties [ız], chair – chairs [z], ring – rings [z], glass – glasses [ız], face – faces [ız], leaf – leaves [z], fat – fats [s], time – times [z], way – ways [z], university – universities [ız], language – languages [ız], wing – wings [z], salt – salts [s], energy – energies [ız], design – designs [z], book – books [s], problem – problems [s], dictionary – dictionaries [ız], class – classes [ız], change – changes [ız], subject – subjects [s], speech – speeches [ız], rule – rules [z].
4. Перепишите следующие предложения, вставляя данные в скобках существительные в единственном или множественном числе:
1) Ann’s father told some funny circus stories. The funniest story was about a giant clown.
2) Many families live in an apartment house. Tom’s family lives on the fourth floor.
3) Do you know the name of this country? The travellers will see many countries.
4) Ben’s dog has five brown puppies. One little puppy has a flat nose.
5) Small babies laugh and play. Jack’s baby has a new toy.
5. Замените существительные с предлогом of существительными в притяжательном падеже:
a meeting of students – students’ meeting, the flat of my mother-in-law – my mother-in-law’s flat, the ray of the sun – the sun’s rays, a distance of two miles – two miles’ distance, the joys of life – the life’s joys, the house of his parents – his parents’ house, the theatres of Moscow – Moscow’s theatres, the children of my sister Mary – my sister Mary’s children, the rights of the women – the women’s rights.
6. Переведите следующие словосочетания на английский язык, употребляя притяжательный падеж:
my friend’s letter, this writer’s short stories, Institute’s library, my younger sister’s daughter, my sister’s younger daughter, this old house’s walls, this house’s old walls.
7. Образуйте степени сравнения следующих прилагательных и наречий с помощью суффиксов –er, (the) – est:
short – shorter – (the) shortest, cold – colder – (the) coldest, wide – wider – (the) widest, early – earlier – (the) earliest, big – bigger – (the) biggest, near – nearer – (the) nearest, late – later – (the) latest, fast – faster – (the) fastest, small – smaller – (the) smallest, old – older – (the) oldest, nice – nicer – (the) nicest, young – younger – (the) youngest, large – larger – (the) largest, kind – kinder – (the) kindest, long – longer – (the) longest, quick – quicker – (the) quickest, easy – easier – (the) easiest.
8. Образуйте степени сравнения следующих прилагательных и наречий с помощью слов more, (the) most:
interesting – more interesting – (the) most interesting, carefully – more carefully – (the) most carefully, comfortable – more comfortable – (the) most comfortable, progressive – more progressive – (the) most progressive, efficient – more efficient – (the) most efficient, clearly – more clearly – (the) most clearly, beautiful – more beautiful – (the) most beautiful, regularly – more regularly – (the) most regularly, prominent – more prominent – (the) most prominent, brightly – more brightly – (the) most brightly, especially – more especially – (the) most especially, wonderful – more wonderful – (the) most wonderful, realistic – more realistic – (the) most realistic, remarkable – more remarkable – (the) most remarkable, special – more special – (the) most special, dependent – more dependent – (the) most dependent, attentively – more attentively – (the) most attentively.
9. Употребите прилагательные и наречия, данные в скобках, в нужной степени сравнения:
1) My brother is much younger than myself.
2) The opera theatre is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city.
3) The sound grew fainter and fainter.
4) The party was not so gay as I had expected.
5) I have no one nearer than you.
6) What is the latest news?
7) Yesterday I came home later than usual.
8) Ann sings far better than Nina.
9) I like this picture best of all.
10. Заполните пропуски притяжательными местоимениями, соответствующим личным местоимением, данным в скобках:
1) His composition is very interesting.
2) Our son goes to school.
3) Your sister is young.
4) Their knowledge of the subject is very poor.
5) His name is John.
6) My family lives in Kiev.
7) Her friends often visit her.
11. Употребите нужную форму личных местоимений:
1) I often see them in the bus.
2) She lives near us.
3) We always walk to school together.
4) He teaches us English.
5) She sits near me during the lesson.
6) I always speak to him in English.
7) What is the matter with him today?
8) He explains the lesson to us each morning.
9) There are some letters here for you and me.
10) I know her and her sister very well.
12. Употребите нужную форму притяжательных местоимений:
1) Would you like to see some of her poems?
2) Their knowledge of the subject is not much superior to ours.
3) You take care of your things and I’ll take care of mine.
4) All our clothes were dirty and mine especially so.
5) Their boat was faster than ours.
6) I’m afraid they will take your word against hers.
7) Their home is pretty but ours is prettier.
13. Заполните пропуски указательными местоимениями this, that, these, those:
1) All this is very interesting. 2) These exercises are very easy. 3) This will do. 4) This chair is very comfortable. 5) This is my English book. 6) Try one of these. 7) These are the TV sets of the latest type. 8) That office at the end of the hall is the administration office. 9) Those books are over there on the table.
14. Заполните пропуски глаголом to be, употребляя соответствующую форму в Present Indefinite:
1) He is a good student. 2) They are old friends. 3) I am a teacher. 4) John is absent from class today. 5) The weather is good today. 6) The sky is clear. 7) We are both students. 8) Mr. Smith is sick today. 9) She and I are cousins.
15. Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной и отрицательной формах:
1) They are in Europe now. Are they in Europe now? They aren’t in Europe now.
2) She is a clever girl. Is she a clever girl? She isn’t a clever girl.
3) It is cold today. Is it cold today? It isn’t cold today.
4) He is in his office. Is he in his office? He isn’t in his office.
5) They are members of the country club. Are they members of the country club? They aren’t members of the country club.
6) Both sisters are tall. Are both sisters tall? Both sisters aren’t tall.
7) John is angry with you. Is John angry with you? John isn’t angry with you.
8) She is a good tennis player. Is she a good tennis player? She isn’t a good tennis player.
9) The stamps are in my desk. Are the stamps in my desk? The stamps aren’t in my desk.
10) She is a good teacher. Is she a good teacher? She isn’t a good teacher.
11) I am her cousin.
16. Заполните пропуски глаголом to have, употребляя соответствующую форму в Present Indefinite:
1) She has one sister and two brothers. 2) We have a large library at school. 3) They have a new car. 4) She has green eyes. 5) Helen has a headache. 6) The secretary has a new typewriter. 7) Mr. Smith’s office has three large windows. 8) We have many friends in Moscow. 9) Both brothers have red hair. 10) Harry’s dog has a long tail. 11) He and I have many things in common.
17. Заполните пропуски конструкцией there is/ there are. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1) There is a new moon tonight. – Сегодня новолуние.
2) There is someone at the door. – Кто-то стоит у двери.
3) There are a lot of students absent today. – Сегодня отсутствует много студентов.
4) There are three lamps in the room. – В комнате три лампы.
5) There are two large windows in the room. – В комнате два больших окна.
6) But there is only one door. – Но здесь всего лишь одна дверь.
7) There are a lot of English classes in our school. – В нашей школе много уроков по английскому языку.
8) There is nobody in the room now. – Сейчас в комнате никого нет.
9) There is no one at home. – Дома никого нет.
10) There are twelve months in a year. – В году двенадцать месяцев.
11) There is a letter for you on the table. – На столе лежит письмо для тебя.
12) There are several beautiful parks in this city. – В этом городе несколько красивых парков.
18. Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной и отрицательной формах:
1) There is a big parade today. Is there a big parade today? There isn’t a big parade today.
2) There are two lamps in the room. Are there two lamps in the room? There aren’t two lamps in the room.
3) There are ten new words in the lesson. Are there ten new words in the lesson? There aren’t ten new words in the lesson.
4) There are enough chairs for everyone. Are there enough chairs for everyone? There aren’t enough chairs for everyone.
5) There is a good restaurant near here. Is there a good restaurant near here? There isn’t a good restaurant near here.
6) There is a comfortable chair in each room. Is there a comfortable chair in each room? There isn’t a comfortable chair in each room.
7) There are many pictures on the walls of our room. Are there many pictures on the walls of our room? There aren’t many pictures on the walls of our room.
8) There are more than ten sentences in each exercise. Are there more than ten sentences in each exercise? There aren’t more than ten sentences in each exercise.
19.Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в Present Indefinite:
1) We read the newspaper in class every day.
2) He always prepares his homework carefully.
3) We always play tennis on Saturdays.
4) She speaks several foreign languages.
5) The children play in the park every afternoon.
6) Helen works very hard.
7) They take a lot of trips together.
8) We always travel by car.
9) I eat lunch in the cafeteria every day.
20. Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной и отрицательной формах:
1) He knows French perfectly. Does he know French perfectly? He doesn’t know French perfectly.
2) I understand everything he says. Do you understand everything he says? I don’t understand everything he says.
3) She makes mistakes in spelling. Does she make mistakes in spelling? She doesn’t make mistakes in spelling.
4) They enjoy their English lessons. Do they enjoy their English lessons? They don’t enjoy their English lessons.
5) They live in Kiev. Do they live in Kiev? They don’t live in Kiev.
6) We use our books in class. Do we use books in class? We don’t use books in class.
7) The plane leaves at ten o’clock. Does the plane leave at ten o’clock? The plane doesn’t leave at ten o’clock.
8) She always comes to class late. Does she always come to class late? She doesn’t always come to class late.
9) I always take the same bus to work. Do you take the same bus to work? I don’t take the same bus to work.
21. Образуйте повелительное наклонение и его отрицательную форму. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
1) Give this to John. – Отдай это Джону.
Don’t give this to John. – Не отдавай это Джону.
2) Open the door. – Открой дверь.
Don’t open the door. – Не открывай дверь.
3) Close the door. – Закрой дверь.
Don’t close the door. – Не закрывай дверь.
4) Telephone him in the morning. – Позвони ему утром.
Don’t telephone him in the morning. – Не звони ему утром.
5) Let him talk with her. – Позволь ему поговорить с ней.
Don’t let him talk with her. – Не позволяй ему говорить с ней.
6) Turn off the light. – Выключи свет.
Don’t turn off the light. – Не выключай свет.
7) Leave your hat on the chair. – Оставь свою шляпу на стуле.
Don’t leave your hat on the chair. – Не оставляй свою шляпу на стуле.
8) Lend me a pencil. – Одолжи мне карандаш.
Don’t lend me a pencil. – Не одалживай мне карандаш.
9) Help him with his homework. – Помоги ему с домашней работой.
Don’t help him with his homework. – Не помогай ему с домашней работой.
22. Заполните пропуски глаголом to be в Past Indefinite:
1) Ann was absent from school yesterday.
2) The exercises in the last lesson were difficult.
3) She was in the same class as Nick last year.
4) We were tired after our long walk.
5) The weather yesterday was very warm.
6) There were a lot of students absent from class yesterday.
7) I was hungry after so many exercises.
8) I was busy all day yesterday.
9) We were good friends for many years.
23. Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной и отрицательной формах:
1) We were pleased to receive your letter. Were we pleased to receive your letter? We weren’t pleased to receive your letter.
2) The door of the office was open. Was the door of the office open? The door of the office wasn’t open.
3) The wind last night was very strong. Was the wind last night very strong? The wind last night wasn’t very strong.
4) He and his brother were sick two days ago. Were he and his brother sick two days ago? He and his brother weren’t sick two days ago.
5) There were few passengers in the compartment. Were there few passengers in the compartment? There weren’t few passengers in the compartment.
6) There was a very interesting lecture last Monday. Was there a very interesting lecture last Monday? There wasn’t very interesting lecture last Monday.
7) There were two examinations last spring. Were there two examinations last spring? There weren’t two examinations last spring.
8) There was a large picture in her room. Was there a large picture in her room? There wasn’t a large picture in her room.